Thursday, January 7, 2010

Freezer Staples

This post is a list of different items that I put in the freezer for future use or long-term storage. I will build this page as I build Denise Made This.

Cooked Cubed Chicken
Description:
Called for in many casserole recipes, cooked cubed chicken can be batched up easily. If I'm cooking 2 breasts for a recipe, I'll most definitely cook up 4, if not 6. I typically just poach them (boil for about 12-15 minutes). It doesn't make for the most attractive chicken, but it holds the moisture well since it's typically re-cooked in the casserole. I chop up the breasts and pack in 2-cup portions in tupperware or freezer ziplocks. I used to do large batches of pre-cooked chicken in the crockpot because it shreds so easily, but the texture in casseroles was grossing me out. It was almost tuna-like. I think I was cooking it too long. Will have to experiment more with that in the future because it sure was easy, but the experiment requires quite a large quantity of chicken. I was on a kick for awhile to use it in some of these shredded chicken recipes from Recipe Zaar.

Recipes:
Super Bowl Casserole
Concoctchiladas

No comments:

Post a Comment