Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mexican Rice

Oliver loves the Mexican rice I get for $2.99/lb (or something like that) at Harvestime, but last week was brutally cold and I wasn't going anywhere for groceries, so I thought I'd try to whip some up here at home.


It turned out pretty good – a bit on the greasy side, but pretty good. Easy enough to remedy next time by using less oil. It made a good amount and I spruced up the original recipe with peas and corn.

I will definitely make it again because it couldn't be easier really. Well, yes it could. Buying it at Harvestime would be easier, but I do really like to know what's going into my food, so this is one of those dishes that's just as good at home. Some dishes, like ethnic stuff that requires 92 rare spices and hard-to-find ingredients, are typically more trouble than they're worth since Thai or Indian or Ethopian are all just a phone call away here in the city. But Mexican Rice? Homemade is "no problema," especially because I typically have the ingredients on-hand.

This kept well in the fridge for a couple days. Served as leftovers for Oliver and used in a layered casserole for us.

Anyway, here's the recipe (from allrecipes.com**):

Mexican Rice

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I would cut this down to two tablespoons next time.)
  • 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce (I used ½ cup prepared enchilada sauce because I didn't have any plain tomato sauce.)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • (I added about a ½ cup each of frozen corn and peas)
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
  2. Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
**I hesitated giving the link to the actual recipe since the photos on allrecipes.com are always so good looking compared to mine. But, I've decided that I can't perfect my photography AND keep cooking AND keep blogging about cooking all at the same time. So, oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment