Friday, January 22, 2010

Deviled Eggs with a Kick

It's funny. As I entered the title for this post, I remembered a recipe I tried last year called Egg Salad with a Kick that doctored up egg salad with horseradish and bacon to give it a bit of a kick. Can't say that I loved it (at least not in proportion to the amount of work involved).

But this recipe-free attempt at giving my deviled eggs a kick did actually turn out pretty good and it certainly wasn't much work at all.

Of course, I made it with a spoonful of this and a squeeze of that, so it will be hard to replicate, but the basic idea of using a spicy aioli in there was a keeper.


The basic info on the ingredients is below. Forgive any measurement inaccuracies as I'm completely guessing from memory. And forgive also the lack of paprika garnish on these in the photo. They got eaten up so fast, it was hardly worth getting them all dressed up.

Deviled Eggs with a Kick

  • 1 dozen hard boiled eggs
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
  • 1 ½ tablespoons prepared Habanero and Rosemary Aioli
    (I bet you could sprinkle some chipotle powder in there as well and it would be tasty.)


     

  1. Cut eggs in half, placing yolks in a small mixing bowl.
  2. Put whites in a cool Rubbermaid deviled egg container like mine. (Jealous much?)
  3. Mash yolks with a fork until powdery.
  4. Add mayo, mustard, and aioli, stirring between each to test the consistency.
  5. Add more or less of each to taste.
  6. Refrigerate. (But try to let them sit out for a few minutes before serving because the ultra-cold of the fridge tends to kill the flavor.)

I'm kind of sorry that I gave half of them to Leslye and Brian, but figured they might enjoy not having to prepare a snack in between feedings and diapering of their new baby girl.

Served: 1/12/2010 (Same day Eric got two entire wheels stolen off his car. Oops.)

No comments:

Post a Comment