Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mashed Potatoes

I know there are tons of awesome recipes out there for super-buttery or super-creamy mashed potatoes, but they typically have loads of fat, not to mention a bunch of ingredients I never have on hand, so when I found this simple, but tasty recipe last year, I knew it would become my go-to spud recipe.

It uses red potatoes, which I really like especially because you don't have to peel 'em, and fresh garlic, which I really like, and milk, Parmesan cheese, and just a little butter, all of which I always have on-hand.



I like to make these guys in advance and throw them in a casserole dish (as it seems I can't get through a meal without something resembling a casserole of late). Then I add a splash of milk and nuke 'em before serving. Too hard to get all the pieces of a meal to come out at the same time otherwise. We've had these as a simple side or under Swedish meatballs with gravy. Tasty. The only thing that could be improved is if they were a little more fluffy/whipped. These guys are pretty dense. Of course, those of you who know me, know that I've never met a potato I didn't like.

Here's the recipe:

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

  • 8 medium red potatoes, quartered
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled (I usually throw at least five or six in there.)
  • 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk, warmed (Since Oliver's on 2%, that's what the spuds get, too.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  1. Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with water.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender. (I usually cut my potatoes into smaller pieces instead of just quartering them, so this step only takes about 10-12 minutes instead of 20.)
  4. Drain well.
  5. Add the butter, milk and salt; mash.
  6. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Served: 1/8/2010

1 comment: